Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Simple Chocolate Cake I

As far as simple chocolate cakes go, this one is basic. All the ingredients were readily available in my fridge and pantry and they all went together easily with the most effort required for chopping and melting the 250g butter. To cook this cake I used my smallest cake tin, 20cm (9 inch), and it barely filled the tin. Perhaps I should have used a loaf tin, or I should have doubled the recipe! Once cooked I iced the cake with a nice simple icing consisting of cocoa, icing sugar and heated milk, combined and mixed.

Basic Chocolate Cake I The texture of the final cake felt grainy in my mouth and the taste was less than desirable. Not only was there an unpleasant aftertaste (I assuming was due to the abundant amount of melted butter) but it left my stomach feeling a little queasy soon after consumption. Needless to say that the majority of the cake went into the bin as it was pretty much inedible.

Ingredients: Basic
Method: Easy
Rating: 1 Star

Ingredients:
1 cup self-raising flour
3 tablespoons cocoa
250g butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs

Method:

1. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, vanilla essence and melted butter.

2. Add eggs and mix together for 1 minute

3. Pour into a lined cake tin and bake for 25 - 35 minutes at 160C

4. If the cake springs back it's cooked. Do not overcook.

1 comment: